Friday, August 5, 2011

A Happy Dad


Excuse the wrinkles, he had just gotten home!

My Dad's birthday was in July and I made him this lightweight, linen/rayon summer shirt.  It was the first time I'd made him anything so he knew about it because I wanted to take his measurements.  He didn't know what the fabric looked like, though, so that was a nice surprise!  I got it from fabric.com.  He saw the pattern that I used, McCall's 6044, and requested that I make the hem straight with a slit on each side so he could wear it untucked.  I think it worked pretty well!




Fabric: Linen/rayon blend from fabric.com
Pattern: McCall's 6044
Year: 2010
Notions: 8 1/2" buttons, bought new
Time to complete: About 6 hours
Total cost: About $30



I've made this pattern twice before, in View D (pink with two pockets in the picture) for J.  Since I knew the pattern, I figured I'd have no problem whipping up the shirt the day before Dad's birthday dinner.  That whole day, I felt like I was on Project Runway!  I stopped for nothing and didn't even bother to change my iTunes playlist once it had repeated about three times.  Luckily I got it done in time, and Dad really likes it.  He wore it to work yesterday, but it's also great for lounging around the house in!




This shot is the best representation of the colors.


Side vent

I'm headed back to school in about two weeks, and from then until the beginning of September I won't have my sewing machine!  I'm thinking about taking along some embroidery projects, and I was just inspired by Casey's post on embroidery this morning.  I love the southern belle that she's working on!  What do you work on when you don't have access to a sewing machine? 





4 comments:

  1. You're dad looks fantastic in his new shirt! I'm sure he was thrilled to receive a made-by-you gift. :)

    I've wanted to dabble in embroidery too, and jewelry making. Honestly, with the exception of crocheting one scarf every year when the weather starts to get chilly, sewing really all I do craft-wise. There's always more to learn and make, that's what I love about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shirt is really cute! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, and your Dad looks so happy with his new shirt! Well done!
    Funny coincidence, I am just finishing a shirt for my own Dad's birthday too!
    (thanks for your sweet comment too, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, sounds like you work good under pressure, me too! I remember the first time I made a man's shirt i was like "wow flat mount sleeve!'

    When there's a sewing machine issue, I bust out the pattern drafting as I always have a never ending list of projects!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!