Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weekend Loot...and BurdaStyle May Preview!

This past weekend, Boyfriend and I went about an hour north to Waynesville, a tiny town that's supposedly the "Antique Capital of the Midwest."  The main street was indeed crammed with upscale antique furniture stores, antique malls, and other assorted shoppies.  I brought my camera, fully intending to take pictures of this picturesque town, but in all my excitement I completely forgot.  Oops!  Here's what I walked away with:

Simplicity 6613: 1974, uncut, princess seams, my size.  Not digging those sleeve options though...


McCall's 5461: 1977, jumper and romper.  I can't get over how cute that white dress is.  

It's going on my to-do list for sure!  Maybe light blue with white topstitching?

McCall's 4898: 1959 pencil skirt.  What a find, right?  I LOVE the middle option with the pockets!

There were a bunch of other patterns that I wanted to save from antique mall misery, but I couldn't afford to take them all home.  There were also not one, but TWO fabric stores on this tiny main street.  Granted, they're owned by the same company.  But still!  The first one we went into was a home decor store and it was super expensive.  I fondled just about all of the fabrics and almost talked myself into buying a yard of $17/yard fabric to make a skirt.  Again, I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of it.  It had a pattern of birds and flowers and leaves and it looked like it was embroidered, but it was printed.  Ahh.  Luckily, boyfriend talked me out of that one.  We went over to the quilting store next, where I picked up only a yard of this print.



It's a little washed out in the photos, but it has this delicate lace print on it.  I'm planning on making a sleeveless version of my Watercolor Blouse, McCall's 5661, with a slightly lower neckline.  I'm not sure why I didn't get at least two yards...it was only about $5/yard.  Oh well!  I don't think I'll have a problem squeezing it in.

On a different note, I'm pretty impressed by the preview of the BurdaStyle May issue.  Here are some of my favorites:









Aaand, one I don't like so much.  Yikes!

Check out the rest here: BurdaStyle.de

6 comments:

  1. That white dress is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about that white dress, definitely go for the blue topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love antique shopping! You have done well :) I love the white dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm awarding you with the One Lovely Blog Award! Check it out here: http://youguesshowmuch.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those patterns u picked out! especially the 2nd jumper one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May was the first Burda issue I've bought - wow I want to make half the patterns, there were loads of lovely ones!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!