Monday, February 21, 2011

Watercolor Blouse




Earlier this week when I started working on this blouse, it definitely felt like spring.  Now, not so much.  As soon as I saw this fabric I started thinking about the watercolor-looking blouses I've seen in stores like Banana Republic and Anthro.

I used McCall's 5661, and it was a breeze to put together.  It has cap sleeves, bust and waist darts, and it buttons up the back.  I cut a size 12, which is a size down from my actual measurements, and it fits perfectly.  My only changes were to add about 1" to the length and to make the sash half as wide.  I also added two buttons to the back because I felt like it'd gap with only five.






My main problem was the fabric.  It's 100% polyester (I know, but I fell in love with the print!) and I've never worked with a fabric this slippery before!  It frayed all over the place, so I finished every seam.  I also sealed the inside of the buttonholes with Fray Check.  I thought about doing bound buttonholes but I read that those aren't normally used on thin fabrics.  What kind of buttonholes and other techniques do you use on light fabrics that fray easily?

I'm really happy with how this turned out and I think I'll get a lot of use out of it.  I can see it over jeans or tucked into a skirt.  This pattern is super versatile and I already have tons of versions planned out in my head.  How about one with a border fabric at the bottom, or a scalloped back where the buttons are?

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I'm glad you were able to work with the slippery fabric. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is absolutely adorable! I would never have picked this pattern up, but I'm definitely going to be trying it out after seeing your version. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that we like your version of our McCall's pattern M5661 so much that we posted a link from our Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/mccallspatterns
    We hope this brings your blog more traffic. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That top turned out so cute!! I feel for you with the slippery fabric issues - they are the worst! Yet somehow I still keep trying to use them... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how a seamstress's project can look so much better than the image on the sewing pattern envelope. I probably never would have considered buying that pattern in a store, but after seeing your version....WOW! You did such a great job, love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!