Friday, December 31, 2010

Rescued Sweater Recon

I found this sweater at Goodwill a few months ago.  It was huge and long, but I could see the potential in the cute covered buttons and embroidery!  It's also 100% merino wool.

Before (I was a little overeager and had already ripped a sleeve off):

I chopped off the bottom below the buttons, resized the body and sleeves, reattached the sleeves with a little gathering at the top and at a 3/4 length, and made a bottom band out of the extra fabric.




I'm really happy with how it turned out!  The buttons aren't functional, it just slips on.  I thought about adding some colorful embroidery over the existing embellishment, but I think it'd be too much.  What do you think?


Next up: Simplicity 6459 in this gorgeous blue vintage-looking cotton.  





1 comment:

  1. Love this sweater! You made something really beautiful out of it! I would love to try something like that, too. Unfortunately, we do not have so many goodwill shops around here!

    You have a really nice blog!
    Thank you, also, for your comment on my jacket. About your question: I first sewed bias tape onto the ruching and the jacket. Afterwards I hand sew the zipper from inside. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!