Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Corduroy Dress Disaster?
Well, I guess I should've taken the advice of other reviewers on this one. I got this brown baby wale corduroy at JoAnn about a month ago and I knew I wanted to make a shirt dress. I researched shirt dress patterns and even though a bunch of people said the collar on McCall's 4769 was really difficult, I figured I could handle it. I was so wrong! The collar stumped me for a good three hours even with the help of my new dress form, Matilda. I've never made a collar with revers before. The way I'm used to seems so much easier! Eventually I ended up fudging it and doing my own thing which sort of works. Looking at these pictures, I realize just how obvious the discrepancy is between the sides. Oh well!
Otherwise, the fit of the dress was surprisingly good. Usually patterns are a little short waisted on me but this hits perfectly. I chopped a good 5 inches off the length even though I did view E, the shorter length. I like the sleeves even though they confused me at first. I did have some issues with fitting the sleeve into the bodice though...no matter how much I tried, I couldn't fit the sleeve in without at least a little gathering showing on the outside. The bodice is also a little big on me, but I don't mind the extra space so much.
I like the look of this dress and I'm mostly satisfied with the finished product, but I won't be making this pattern again and wouldn't recommend it to others. There must be an easier shirt dress pattern out there!