Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Corduroy Dress Disaster?



Well, I guess I should've taken the advice of other reviewers on this one.  I got this brown baby wale corduroy at JoAnn about a month ago and I knew I wanted to make a shirt dress.  I researched shirt dress patterns and even though a bunch of people said the collar on McCall's 4769 was really difficult, I figured I could handle it.  I was so wrong!  The collar stumped me for a good three hours even with the help of my new dress form, Matilda.  I've never made a collar with revers before.  The way I'm used to seems so much easier!  Eventually I ended up fudging it and doing my own thing which sort of works.  Looking at these pictures, I realize just how obvious the discrepancy is between the sides.  Oh well!






Otherwise, the fit of the dress was surprisingly good.  Usually patterns are a little short waisted on me but this hits perfectly.  I chopped a good 5 inches off the length even though I did view E, the shorter length.  I like the sleeves even though they confused me at first.  I did have some issues with fitting the sleeve into the bodice though...no matter how much I tried, I couldn't fit the sleeve in without at least a little gathering showing on the outside.  The bodice is also a little big on me, but I don't mind the extra space so much.


I like the look of this dress and I'm mostly satisfied with the finished product, but I won't be making this pattern again and wouldn't recommend it to others.  There must be an easier shirt dress pattern out there!

4 comments:

  1. Hello - found you through Pattern Review. I've made Amy Butler's Liverpool, which can be either Shirtdress or Tunic and offers a variety of sleeve lengths too. Love the pattern, love how my dress turned out and will make more of them.

    Here's my dress: http://fivegreenacres.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/oh-and-i-made-this-dress/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that we think you did a great job with our M4769 dress pattern, even though the collar gave you trouble. We've posted a link to your blog from our McCall's Patterns facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started following you and I am inspired by your determination. I am a full time college student and have not found the time to sew as i would like to yet with all the studying and essays to write.Give me some advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angella--I set aside time to sew. It's usually Monday afternoons, on the day that I have the least amount of classes, and even if I manage to make just a little amount of progress, I always feel more relaxed afterward. Sewing is a creative outlet for me, and if I go too long without it I get cranky! Try to work a chunk of time into your schedule each week. You'll feel much better!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!