The only changes I made were eliminating the tie and the binding at the hem. Instead, I finished the hem with some yellow lace from my Oma's stash. I sort of made up the technique...I'm not sure if it's legit or not, but it works! I also added a tiny bow at the front to cover up my less-than-perfect binding.
I tried my first-ever handpicked zipper, and it worked okay. It looked good until I tried it on and realized that the fabric didn't quite meet all the way at the top. Oh well!
I love this pattern and will probably be making it many more times. I'm thinking a spring version next, or maybe one in some pretty brocade.