Friday, December 17, 2010

Back to life!

Whew.  I guess it's been awhile.  Actually, I guess it's been a full quarter.  School kept me pretty busy and then I got mono around Thanksgiving.  I'm home for break now (and feeling much better!) and I'm working a lot but am still finding time to sew.  I whipped up my version of Simplicity 2512, the immensely popular Cynthia Rowley skirt, in about 2 days.




The only changes I made were eliminating the tie and the binding at the hem.  Instead, I finished the hem with some yellow lace from my Oma's stash.  I sort of made up the technique...I'm not sure if it's legit or not, but it works!  I also added a tiny bow at the front to cover up my less-than-perfect binding.




I tried my first-ever handpicked zipper, and it worked okay.  It looked good until I tried it on and realized that the fabric didn't quite meet all the way at the top.  Oh well!


I love this pattern and will probably be making it many more times.  I'm thinking a spring version next, or maybe one in some pretty brocade.

3 comments:

  1. I have looked at this skirt pattern several times, but I never noticed the binding at the top. You did a fabulous job and I love the bow. It adds a nice touch. I am definitely getting this skirt pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing projects are looking so great, well done! I loved your vintage dress with the ties in the front, in fact I had to pin it on pintrest! Anyways, your clothes just look so well made with lots of attention to detail, yey! And your lace-hemming? Totally legit. In fact, I'd call it a high end finishing - I'm sure you've seen Gertie and Casey do that all the time!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!